Frequently Asked Question
Adding Alternative Staff in Canvas
Members of the Alcorn Alternative Education Center will need to be granted permission to access certain course materials in Canvas. Adding users as ‘Alternative Staff’ gives access to see discussions, assignments, announcements, grades and groups. This account role does not have the ability to alter pages, assignments, quizzes, or grades. This role exists for AAEC staff to help monitor student progress and assist with scheduled tasks. To do so, you will need to follow these specific steps.
Creating a Alternative School Section
- Access your Canvas account
- Open the course your AAEC Student is enrolled in
- Open Settings from the left navigation bar
- Click on Section
- In the blank field, add a section labeled Alternative School
- In the People section to the left, find the AAEC student
- Click the three dots and edit section
- In the blank field, type Alternative School and update.
Adding Alternative Staff
- Select the “People” tab on the left side navigation bar
- Locate and select the “+People” button in the upper right
- Enter the email addresses of the appropriate Alternative Staff
- Choose role as “Alternative Staff”
- Adjust the section as only that of the AAEC student
- Click “Next” in the bottom right
- Finally, “Add Users”
Once you have completed these steps, AAEC Staff will be alerted of their invitation and will be able to access the course content that is necessary. Upon completion of your students time at AAEC, you can remove the Alternative Staff users in Canvas or contact the Technology Department through a help desk ticket for removal.